Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Nature’s bounty and sautéed Brussels sprouts

Last year, after having my baby I made the decision to feed her organic foods. I am concerned about the links between pesticides and neurological issues and I am even more concerned about hormones in milk putting my daughter into puberty when she is 6 years old. Regardless of how remote the chances of these things are, I wanted only the best for her.

To that end,  MrLeanGreen and I signed up for a local service that delivered locally grown, organic produce to us on a weekly basis. It was great and even though my child refused to eat anything that wasn’t pureed to a level of smoothness beyond my Cuisinart’s capabilities, the husband and I really enjoyed the produce.

Sometimes, we got things we had never heard of. Lemon cucumbers, who knew? They’re delicious. Sometimes we got things we didn’t like. I just can’t do beets. But for the most part we ate more fruits and veggies than either of us ever had before.

As the cold weather set in, the veggies started being from further away and not so great. It wasn’t the service’s fault, do you know what kind of great produce grows in the Mid-Atlantic in the winter? None. So we put our orders on hold until …..this week!

We got our first delivery of the spring (and it is spring regardless of what the weather says) yesterday. While most of it is still not from “local” farms yet, FL is at least on the same coast.

CIMG0156

Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, oranges, sweet potato, plums and carrots.

 

This order is pretty basic. Nothing new or exotic and I know how to utilize it all. It is great though to have someone else determining my produce for the week. It forces me to cook things that probably wouldn’t have made it into my grocery cart and therefore adds some variety to our diets.

Tonight, we had the Brussels sprouts. I know a lot of people think they don’t like them but they are my favorite veggie, hands down.

These are small so I simply wash them and cut off the ends. If they were large I would slice them down the middle.

CIMG0160

To speed up cooking, I steamed these for 10 minutes before sauteeing.

CIMG0161

To a warm pan, I add ½ Tbsp of butter and ½ Tbsp Olive Oil.

CIMG0162

I place the sprouts cut side down in the pan and cook until brown and carmelized, about 5 minutes.

Stir the sprouts around to coat. Add a little salt and pepper.

IMG00035-20110406-1940

(My phone/camera died before I could get the finished picture so I had to use MrLG’s phone. It didn’t turn out well. But the sprouts did, they were awesome!!)

Yum, yummy, yum!!!

We also had leftover turkey Manwiches. Yawn.

There is likely a similar program or co-op for fresh, local veggies in your area. Consult Dr. Google. If you are in the DC area, I can turn you on to our service.

No comments:

Post a Comment